Our life is never dull at the Laird house!! I know I do not have a hard life or to bad because I know so many other people in such harder and worse situations than me. So this is not a sob fest, just an update fest for all the people that have been getting a play by play phone call from my mother.
Last week I experienced something that is very hard for me to explain. So sorry if things don't make sense or a little off. Well Alexis and I were watching The Bachelor last week. She was playing on the floor and I was on the computer looking at Facebook eating Ice Cream. (Very Exciting so far!) Then my ears started to ring, my eyes started to do something funky, and I was extremely dizzy. I thought I was faking it or making myself do it so I tried to talk myself out of being dizzy for a second when it got worse and I really thought I was going to pass out. I have never been that disoriented and dizzy ever. My eyes weren't normal but I can't tell you what they were doing cause I don't know I just couldn't focus or see normal. But because I was extremely disoriented and dizzy I decided I should lay my head on the table just in case I did pass out. So as I was moving to do this I got stuck. I just couldn't move. My left arm was all numb and I couldn't move so I was like a rag limp doll hanging there. I couldn't talk. I was just stuck there but was screaming in my head what is going on!! Then my hearing went back to normal and I could move. And I found Lexi trying to get into her swing. So I had to start thinking about her.
So to shorten the long story up. I ended up going to ER to make sure I hadn't had a stroke. My mom and mother in law were both very worried and convinced I needed to be checked out. The ER Dr. asked me some ? and once finding out all my medical history of head injuries. He was convinced it is a weird neurological migraine that can give you stroke like symptoms that I was experiencing. So I'm like ok I look like a complete idiot. Get me out of the ER. So they gave me medicine to help me with my nausea and dizziness. Then I got out of there as fast as I could. I felt dizzy and nauseous for days after on and off. So I figured it was just part of the head ache.
Luckily I had my regular follow up with my neurologist a few days later. I told him what happened. He was didn't believe it was a neurological migraine because I had no head ache before or after this. If I was getting these type of headaches I would get some type of symptoms usually before, which I had none. So he told me that there could be a few things that could have caused this and I had to get some tests done. First was a MRI to see how my brain was doing after this, Second was a ultrasound on my carotid artery to see if it was blocked, and Third was a TEE to see if I had a whole in my heart. He said he has seen this a few times before and that was usually the problem.
So Friday I went for the MRI, and Ultrasound. Yesterday I talked to my neurologists MA and she said those came back normal. So I asked her what does that mean and she said just that my artery wasn't blocked, and I didn't have a blood clot in my brain and I had no memory loss. But I would have to ask the Dr. the rest on my follow up. So because all of that came back normal I tried to get out of the heart test because it is so freaking expensive. (Yes, I'm one of those people that when you get hurt I care more about the bill than the health.) But they wouldn't let me get out of the TEE. (a TEE is like a ECG but instead they put a tube down my throat and test behind my heart. It is more accurate than a ECG and shows more info such as chamber size, how much blood is flowing, and all that besides just the rhythm.)
Today we got up bright and early for the test. The actual test is super short but they have to put me out for it so it felt like it took days to get it all done. Well we found out I do have a whole in my heart. When babies are born they have wholes in their heart and when they grow it closes up. Mine never did. This happens quite often for people. A lot of people never even have any problems with this. And then some are like me where they experience a Mini Stroke. So I know I will be getting this fixed now. It's a super easy procedure they go through a artery and put a plug in where the whole is that opens up kind of like a umbrella and then it grows to my heart. I have a lot of people calling me and stressing and this is why I am writing this to let you know you don't have to. It's not a big deal and will be fixed very easy. I will keep you informed on when I will be getting this done and how it all goes!
Thank you for everyone that has been praying for me and supporting me! I love you all so very much!!!
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







3 comments:
Michelle... This is awful! I'm sorry for all of your stress. Are you feeling ok?
My sis-in-law had a mini-stroke just over a year ago. She is okay now but it was scary for a bit.
Best wishes and happy, healthy thoughts going your way sweetie!
"I just had a stroke and my heart is all holey, but hey, no need to freak out here." Ummmmmmmmm?
You deserve some freaking out.
Make someone change all Lexi's poopy diapers - - claim dizziness. Maybe you'll get a nap out of it too.
I am so glad you are ok and that this can be taken care of.
Let me know if you need anything!
Post a Comment